Website Nelson Mandela University
The purpose of this post is to manage the practical aspect of academic programmes in the Department of Human Physiology and supervise and maintain laboratory areas as well as performing certain administrative tasks within the department.
- Maintain marksheets (via Moodle Gradebook, Sharepoint spreadsheets and ITS) and assistance with other general administrative duties as required.
- Responsible for the biological sample preparation, sectioning and staining of SEM and TEM samples.
- Responsible for the general upkeep of all Physiology laboratories
- Responsible for supervision of student assistants, laboratory assistants and cleaning staff.
- Responsible for inventory control, the sourcing and ordering of equipment and chemicals.
- Supervision, operation and maintenance of laboratory apparatus and equipment including the provision of training of students in the use thereof.
- Knowledge of and experience in handling of organs, blood and blood products.
- Technical support for the research programmes in the Physiology Department.
- Presentation of practicals, including validations and assessments under the supervision of the responsible academic.
- Thorough knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Sound interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of scientific equipment
- Working knowledge of Moodle and ITS
Qualification & Experience:
- At least 2-5 years of technical support experience in an academic environment
- A valid Code 8 drivers license
- In order to be considered for appointment to this post, candidates should possess
- A minimum of a BSc degree in Human Physiology (an honours or higher degree would be an advantage).
Company: Nelson Mandela University
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: N/A
Job Location: Gqebera, Eastern Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A