Sappi Southern Africa requires an Employee Relations Manager to effectively manage employee relations, industrial relations and transformation for a portfolio of business units.
- Advise business managers on the correct approach and process to follow for major organisational changes or restructuring initiatives.
- Actively participate in local community forums and structures. Provide technical input in terms of employee matters (recruitment and skills matters) in such forums.
- Convene local Employment Equity and Learning Committee meetings at the required intervals in collaboration with Business Units human resources teams. Ensure that meeting governance around quorum, agenda and minutes are executed properly.
- Ensure that all members of local Employment Equity Committees are properly appointed, inducted on the terms of reference of the committee and receive the proper training on their role and mandate.
- Personally, oversee discipline or grievance matters that involve senior people in the business as well as sensitive or complex cases.
- Provide information to the regional Employee Relations team on potential local community issues that require proactive management
- Monitor upcoming appointments by reviewing the shortlists and offers to determine if transformation objectives have been taken into account. Provide guidance to HR colleagues on how to improve their selection processes
- Manage the process for such changes including coordinating consultation, union engagement and regulatory notifications
- Coordinate local union activities including oversight of the duties of full-time shop stewards.
- Actively educate managers on the benefits of a diverse workforce.
- Actively educate employees and managers in the business units on Sappi’s policies related to discipline in the workplace as well as mechanisms to raise grievances.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Labour Law or Industrial Psychology, or equivalent qualification
- Experience with external stakeholder/community relations would be advantageous
- At least seven (7) years of experience in labour relations in heavy industry or in Forestry
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: N/A
Job Location: Mandeni, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A