Sappi Southern Africa – Forests requires a Skills Centre Manager to plan, design, develop and deliver business technical training and community short courses in the Sappi Skills Centre. Manage the Skills Centre facility – buildings, property, safety, maintenance and budgets.
- Take control of the issuance of PPE (personal protective equipment) for trainees who come on site.
- Take responsibility for the skills centre’s site management. This includes security, cleaning services, access control, utilities and maintenance (site and equipment maintenance).
- Compile year planners for skills centre programmes to inform volunteer trainers, artisan trainer scheduling and business subject matter expert planning. Skills centre utilisation targets are set on an annual basis. Ensure that schedules cover community training, and technical/operational development for employees.
- Drive the process of having skills centre facilitators accredited for training (for example heavy lifting equipment licensing or chainsaw operations) based on the needs analysis conducted with the business unit learning manager.
- Ensure that housekeeping and safety standards are maintained for the site. Conduct inspections and remediate any gaps identified.
- Support the preparation of the annual CAPEX budget. Negotiate with the business unit engineering or maintenance teams for some of their CAPEX where needed for joint facilities.
- Arrange training events that are facilitated by external training providers. Ensure that the correct governance is followed in terms of approved providers, obtaining quotes and payment processes. Ensure that venues, refreshments and travel is arranged if required.
- Review the progress of skills centre trainees who are placed in the business for practical/on-the-job training. Ensure that logbooks are in good order and that mentors are performing their duties.
- Approve maintenance activities within budget. Out-of-budget items must be referred to the Learning Manager.
- Define the budget with input from the learning manager. Budgets cover headcount, site and equipment maintenance, equipment, utilities, security and training consumables. Monitor monthly. Review purchase requisitions before it is sent for approval.
Qualification & Experience:
- More than 5 years experience in technical training
- Training supervisor experience
- Accredited assessor for some of the technical content
- Master Craftsman
- A Diploma in Education and Training
- Trade tested artisan in 1 or more trades
- Experience in managing a facility
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: N/A
Job Location: Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A