Sappi Forests requires a Forestry Manager to plan, execute & achieve the estate management & harvesting objectives for fibre production within resource & SHEQ parameters to ensure a sustainable and rateable fibre supply.
- Encourage suppliers to invest in equipment that is owned by farming community cooperation through farmers association or FPA to improve access and availability and profits to the growers.
- Ensure that relations with communities and other internal & external stakeholders are effectively maintained & managed to uphold the company image through proactive risk identification and mitigation, and enhanced relations through regularly planned engagements.
- Conduct interim in-field inspections to monitor and ensure adherence to safety and Mill quality specifications to proactively mitigate; save lives and ensure efficiencies
- Monitor loan recovery by prioritising wood fibre on the annual harvesting APO before spot timber and monitor infield stocks versus sales and TCS recovery reports reducing loss to the company
- Monitor harvesting performance; scheduling of short-haul & loading operations to ensure grower service providers benefit from timeous interventions and achieve targets
- Manage relationship with local offices of DAFF, DRDLR; DWAS; IDC; Traditional Councils and local municipalities by supporting interventions of common interests and extending invitations to stakeholder outreach programmes including grower days
- Ensure that all projects have the necessary required resources and capacity to achieve targets by determining the scope of annual activities and recruiting and or developing the required skills
- Communicate with the Logistics office to optimize delivery against targets and attain customer satisfaction
- Facilitate for the development of cordial relationships between suppliers; their neighbours and the local business community through local farmer associations and Fire Protection associations membership to ensure collaboration and cooperation between stakeholders and improve response to disastrous events.
- Ensure adherence to the chain of custody principles through spot audits on a proportionate percentage of supplied wood fibre volume for the month monitoring the source “infield audits” and the supplied volume versus contractual volume to combat criminal activity
- Monitor infield versus depots stock level reports to ensure rateable wood fibre delivery to the Mill and achieve targets
- Ensure all operations comply with service level agreement by doing infield service audit checks to guarantee quality and delivery of value for money
- Ensure that a professional relationship with suppliers’ service providers is maintained by ensuring that quality, delivery and compliance standards as set out in the job instruction system and service level agreement are adhered to, concerns logged and actioned promptly, and incidents closed off formally to maintain company image.
- Facilitate rates negotiations between suppliers and service providers by ensuring that there is fair engagement and both parties are capacitated and helped to develop an appreciation of business principles
Qualification & Experience:
- National Diploma in Forestry or related qualification
- At least 8 years experience in timber procurement and/or forestry management
- Bachelors’ Degree in Forestry or related disciplines would be preferred
- Valid code EB driver’s license
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: N/A
Job Location: Umvoti, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A