Website South African National Parks - SANParks
A vacancy exists for a Visual data scientist in the Scientific Services division of South African National Parks (SANParks). The successful candidate will apply a suitable system for managing visual records, including capturing, storing, managing and analysing image datasets, such as baited remote underwater videos (BRUVs), images from camera traps, remote sensing imagery and drone imagery, across all parks and nodes.
- Develop a strategy and operational plan for capturing, managing and sharing these data
- Conduct an inventory of visual datasets, including BRUV and camera trap data, and their locations
- Develop and mobilise a strategy for documenting and storing SANParks visual data
- Conduct visual data capture, collation, interpretation and analysis
- Store, manage and mobilise visual datasets
- Capable of writing code for detecting biological trends such as species abundance, occurrence, habitat preference and activity patterns from photographs and videos.
- A valid driver’s licence and willingness to travel to national parks across the country
- Ability to use open-source software, such as R and QGIS, to develop code for data analysis.
- Ability to develop, document and implement statistical analysis workflows.
Qualification & Experience:
- Three years of working experience in an ecological field and/or bioinformatics-related field.
- Strong experience in manipulation and analysis of large visual datasets from different sources
- Experience working with remote sensing data.
- MSc in Natural Science/Information Science or equivalent qualification.
Company: South African National Parks – SANParks
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: N/A
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A